Contact Us for a Free Consultation
doctor reaching for surgical tools

What Can I Do If a Doctor Makes a Mistake During Surgery?

Suffering because of a doctor’s negligence can be difficult to endure, especially for those who may not recognize their rights and legal options after a surgical error occurs. However, you should recognize that you can take legal action against a negligent doctor if he or she makes mistakes.

Below, we’ll help you understand what rights you have and what to look for to determine if you have a potential medical malpractice case. This knowledge can help you make smart decisions moving forward to pursue compensation.

Holding a Doctor and/or Medical Facility Negligent

You can hold a doctor liable for damages he or she causes because of a surgery error. Your legal options give you the right to pursue compensation for the following losses:

  • Medical expenses for ongoing care
  • Lost income if you are unable to work
  • Specialized medical equipment you may require
  • Pain and suffering because of ongoing

If the hospital that hired or contracted the surgeon knew of a history of negligence, it’s important to recognize they may be liable as well. Speak with a lawyer about your options.

What to Look Out For

When you suffer injuries because of a surgical error, you should speak with another doctor for a second opinion. You want to ensure that you have clear knowledge of the surgical procedure the doctor performed and a medical record that can detail what may have occurred during the surgery.

If you notice that your condition isn’t improving or you’re experiencing new pain after your surgery, it’s vital to be aware of your potential rights. Speaking with an attorney can give you a good idea of what to do moving forward.

Our Kansas City medical malpractice attorneys at Dempsey & Kingsland, P.C. work to protect your rights from large corporations that want to safeguard their reputation. Let our team guide you through the complex process, so you have a clear understanding of what to expect moving forward.

Call for a free consultation today: (816) 484-3776.